Although accidents are inevitable, drivers can follow these steps to make the process of reporting an insurance claim easy and quick.
- Make sure no one is in immediate physical danger - call 911 if an ambulance is needed.
- Notify the police.
- Exchange name, address, phone number and the name of the insurance company and/or agent with the other driver(s) involved. Obtain contact information of any witnesses. If possible, get the police report. Lassen, Marine & Webster can provide an accident report form to help obtain all the correct information
- Take note of details: date, time, location, and even weather conditions
- Get the make, model and license plate number of the vehicle(s) involved in the accident, and write down a description of the damage. If you have a camera or camera phone on hand, take photos of all damaged vehicles, as well as the scene of the accident (i.e. the intersection, any signs, traffic lights, etc.)
- Contact your insurance company to notify them that you have been involved in an accident, even if you are not at fault.